Patient Care Administrator
SERVICE THE POSITION IS FOR : Hospice of Holland
- POSITION REPORTS TO: Director of Clinical Care
DEPARTMENT: 10 – Patient Care
Job Description Summary
Responsible for the coordination of all patient related documents, communication, and day-to-day operations of the patient care areas.
Essential Job Functions
- Manages all hospice and palliative care documents including distribution, completeness, maintenance, filing, storage and retention.
- Manages interdisciplinary communications in an effort to assist in meeting patient needs through the coordination of communication tools including the on-call line and the on-call schedule.
- Assists Counseling Services Director in bereavement mailings and maintain bereavement module in Consolo.
- Prepares reports and other supporting documents for IDT meetings.
- Collaborates with the Billing Administrator to ensure efficient and correct billing.
- Coordinates required physician documentation including scanning records into patient electronic charts, faxing records to facilities and physician offices, recording signatures and filing and tracking records.
- Responsible to orient new staff and volunteers on the patient care documentation and communication.
- Assists Director of Quality and Education with processing patient certifications and re-certifications.
- Assists Director of Clinical Care with establishing and maintaining work schedules for staff in the patient care area.
- Communicates all on-call schedules to appropriate personnel.
- Assists Clinical Care Manager with assigning of patients to the HHAs
- Acts as back-up to the Admissions Administrator performing efficient operation of the patient referral, intake, and admission operations, including maintaining key measurements, accurate records and appropriate data generated by these operations.
- Cross train for other disciplines as office manager requests.
The above statements are intended to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job.The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
All employees are required to comply with the policies and procedures of Hospice of Holland, Inc. and with all state, federal, and other regulatory requirements. They will also comply with confidentiality laws as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices as well as accepted professional standards and practice.
Education and Experience:
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience: One-year experience working as an administrative assistant or secretarial work; healthcare preferred.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Demonstrable skills in word processing, windows applications and the Internet.
- Excellent communication, organizational and follow through skills.
- Ability to organize and focus attention to detail and accuracy.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Familiar with word processing and spreadsheets.
- Strong customer service and excellent people skills.
- Maintain flexibility in dealing with a variety of issues involving patient care.
Managing Work – Effectively managing one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
Quality Orientation – Accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
Work Standards – Setting High Standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
Customer Focus – Making customers and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; developing and sustaining productive customer relations.
Performs a variety of routine work within established policies and procedures that allow for some discretion as to how and when the work is to be performed. Use of training and knowledge to problem-solve, make decisions, and determine the best course of action from within a framework of established options. Seeks advice and further direction when situations are out of the ordinary and/or do not fall within existing instructions. Priorities and outcomes are determined by the supervisor, or some external reference. Work is checked periodically to ensure compliance with procedures and policies.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, and hear. The employee must also be required to move to various parts of the building and work area. Exposure to repetitive hand and finger motion will occasionally occur. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust and focus. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The working conditions described here are representative of those encountered in the job. Specific conditions may be different than those described. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities.
- Will work inside.
- Will have close exposure to computer screens.
- Will be required to meet deadlines, occasionally with severe time constraints.
Continuing Education Requirements:
Hospice personnel are expected to participate in appropriate continuing education as may be requested and/or required by their immediate supervisor. In addition, Hospice personnel are expected to accept personal responsibility for other educational activities to enhance job-related skills and abilities.