Hospice Aide – Part-Time Flex
- SERVICE THE POSITION IS FOR : Hospice of Holland
- POSITION REPORTS TO: Clinical Care Manger
DEPARTMENT: 07 – Clinical Care
- HOURS: M-F, 7am to 3pm with some variance.
Job Description Summary
The Hospice Nurse Aide is a paraprofessional member of the interdisciplinary group who works under the supervision of a Registered Nurse and provides various services for a patient as necessary to meet the patient’s personal needs and to promote comfort. The Hospice Aide is responsible for observing the patient, reporting these observations and documenting observations and care given.
Essential Job Functions
1. Provides personal care after receiving a patient assignment. If unable to perform a certain task, reports to an RN.
2. Assists with patient safety needs and operates medical equipment safely and properly.
3. Assists as needed with personal care which may include bathing, skin care, oral hygiene, nail care, shampoo, changing bed linen and making an occupied bed as assigned.
4. Assists patient with ambulation and exercise as assigned by the RN.
5. Assists patient with elimination needs as indicated.
6. Assists with feeding the patient as assigned.
7. Takes and records vital signs as ordered.
8. Reports patient’s condition changes to the RN. Observes the caregiver and/or other individuals living with the patient for any interpersonal or coping issues, and shares information with appropriate team members.
9. Assists with range of motion and other simple procedures to maintain comfort.
10. Assists with respite for patient’s/family/caregiver when on-site, as appropriate.
11. Assists with keeping patient’s living area clean and orderly. May include assistance with light laundry as assigned.
12. Respectful of patient/family/caregiver environment and patient’s personal needs.
The home health aide does not function in any manner viewed as the practice of nursing according to the Nurse Practice Act. Specifically, the home health aide does not administer medications, take physician’s orders or perform procedures requiring the training, knowledge and skill of a licensed nurse.
The above statements are intended to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
All employees are required to comply with the policies and procedures of Hospice of Holland, Inc. and with all state, federal, and other regulatory requirements. They will also comply with confidentiality laws as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices as well as accepted professional standards and practice.
Education and Experience:
- Education: Has a High school diploma or GED.
- Experience: One year nursing assistance experience in hospice, long-term care or medical/surgical experience, preferred.
- Other: Meets the training requirements ( 12 hours annually) for Certified Home Health or Nurses Aide under both State and federal guidelines and can demonstrate competency. Licensed driver with automobile that is insured in accordance with organization requirements and is in good working order.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Understands Hospice philosophy and terminally ill patient needs.
- Demonstrates ability to read and follow written instructions and document care given. Is self-directing with the ability to work with little direct supervision.
- Demonstrates excellent organizational, observation, judgment and verbal/written communication skills.Understands hospice philosophy and issues related to death/dying.
Managing Work – Effectively managing one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
Quality Orientation – Accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
Stress Tolerance – Maintains stable performance under pressure or opposition (such as time pressure or ambiguity); handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization.
Work Standards – Setting High Standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
Customer Focus – Making customers and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; developing and sustaining productive customer relations.
The incumbent performs a variety of routine work within established policies and procedures that allow for some discretion as to how and when the work is to be performed. The incumbent is expected to use their training and knowledge to problem-solve, make decisions, and determine the best course of action from within a framework of established options. The employee is presumed to be able to recognize instances which are out of the ordinary and/or fall within existing instructions. The employee is then expected to seek advice and further direction. Priorities and outcomes are determined by the supervisor, or some external reference. Their work is checked periodically to ensure compliance with procedures and policies.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, and hear. The employee must also be required to stand and walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust and focus. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds, lift, position and/or transfer patients and lift supplies and equipment. Considerable reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling and/or crouching is also required.
The working conditions described here are representative of those encountered in the job. Specific conditions may be different than those described. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities.
- May be exposed to extremes of heat and cold in all weather conditions. Must drive in various weather conditions on roads in varying degrees of repair.
- Subject to varying and unpredictable situations. Handles emergency or crisis situations. Travel required.
Continuing Education Requirements:
Hospice personnel are expected to participate in appropriate continuing education as may be requested and/or required by their immediate supervisor. In addition, Hospice personnel are expected to accept personal responsibility for other educational activities to enhance job-related skills and abilities.