1. Provides personal care after receiving a patient assignment. If unable to perform a certain task, reports to an RN.
2. Assists with patient safety needs and operates medical equipment safely and properly.
3. Assists as needed with personal care which may include bathing, skin care, oral hygiene, nail care, shampoo, changing bed linen and making an occupied bed as assigned.
4. Assists patient with ambulation and exercise as assigned by the RN.
5. Assists patient with elimination needs as indicated.
6. Assists with feeding the patient as assigned.
7. Takes and records vital signs as ordered.
8. Reports patient’s condition changes to the RN. Observes the caregiver and/or other individuals living with the patient for any interpersonal or coping issues, and shares information with appropriate team members.
9. Assists with range of motion and other simple procedures to maintain comfort.
10. Assists with respite for patient’s/family/caregiver when on-site, as appropriate.
11. Assists with keeping patient’s living area clean and orderly. May include assistance with light laundry as assigned.
12. Respectful of patient/family/caregiver environment and patient’s personal needs.
The home health aide does not function in any manner viewed as the practice of nursing according to the Nurse Practice Act. Specifically, the home health aide does not administer medications, take physician’s orders or perform procedures requiring the training, knowledge and skill of a licensed nurse.
The above statements are intended to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
All employees are required to comply with the policies and procedures of Hospice of Holland, Inc. and with all state, federal, and other regulatory requirements. They will also comply with confidentiality laws as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices as well as accepted professional standards and practice.